Download the survey below
Time to act – Towards sustainable value chains in the Nordics
Sustainability considerations are increasingly important for companies to compete in the global context and ensure long-term viability. Customers, employees, investors and regulators are demanding more effective action on environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters and are becoming increasingly conscious about greenwashing attempts. Real change needs to take place – nothing less will suffice.
This survey builds on the ESG Empowered Value Chains 2025, a global PwC survey about ESG in operations released in early 2023, but focusing specifically on the Nordic markets. The survey was conducted by running in-depth interviews and an online questionnaire for over 50 senior executives and managers at mid- and large-sized Nordic companies. The purpose was to gain insight into Nordic companies’ sustainability maturity and their progress on their ESG journey. In this study, the focus is on the environmental aspects and reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in companies’ value chains.
The key findings of this study are the following:
- Nordic companies are leading the way in sustainability
- The biggest potential is seen in new sustainable value propositions and growth accelerated through strategic investments
- Volatile regulatory environment and inadequate access to data are reported as the biggest challenges
- The value chain perspective is a must in reducing GHG emissions with customers and suppliers
- Sustainability is the single biggest catalyst and driver for the development of companies' data and reporting capabilities